Germany DROPS probe into 95-year-old Nazi camp guard who was set to become 'possibly the last' suspect deported from the US for complicity in the Holocaust

Publié le par Mail Online by Afp and Chris Jewers For Mailonline

  • Friedrich Karl Berger, 95, admitted to guarding infamous Neuengamme camps
  • He was accused of aiding and abetting in the killing of prisoners at the camps
  • But German prosecutors have dropped the case citing a lack of evidence
  • Court in March ordered his deportation from the US where he's lived since 1959
  • The dropping of the case in Germany will have no impact on his deportation
Pictured: A 2012 photograph of former Nazi guard Friedrich Karl Berger (left). German prosecutors have dropped an investigation into Berger citing a lack of evidence against him

Pictured: A 2012 photograph of former Nazi guard Friedrich Karl Berger (left). German prosecutors have dropped an investigation into Berger citing a lack of evidence against him

Germany has dropped a probe into a former Nazi guard slated to become 'possibly the last' suspect deported from the US for alleged complicity in the Holocaust, prosecutors said Thursday.

Friedrich Karl Berger, 95, had been accused of aiding and abetting the killing of prisoners as a guard at two concentration camps in northern Germany, in particular by overseeing a brutal evacuation march.

A court in March ordered his deportation from the US, where he has been living since 1959.

The end of the German investigation will have 'no immediate effect' on the deportation proceedings as they are separate processes, prosecutors told AFP.

It was not immediately clear whether US authorities would still push for his expulsion.

Berger had admitted guarding prisoners in the camps, which were part of the infamous Neuengamme network, but said he had not observed any mistreatment or overseen an evacuation.

'Berger was part of the SS machinery of oppression that kept concentration camp prisoners in atrocious conditions of confinement,' US Assistant Attorney General Brian Benczkowski said at the time.

But no further evidence is available and US investigations 'have not linked the accused to any specific act of killing', German prosecutors said.

'No further information is to be expected from a hearing of the accused in Germany.'

Berger had admitted guarding prisoners in the camps, which were part of the infamous Neuengamme network, but said he had not observed any mistreatment or overseen an evacuation. Pictured: Christmas celebration of the SS guards at Concentration Camp Neuengamme in 1943

Berger had admitted guarding prisoners in the camps, which were part of the infamous Neuengamme network, but said he had not observed any mistreatment or overseen an evacuation. Pictured: Christmas celebration of the SS guards at Concentration Camp Neuengamme in 1943

In March 1945, evacuation marches towards the main camp in Neuengamme as Allied troops advanced led to the death of about 70 prisoners from exhaustion. Pictured: A so-called special zone in Erbke, Hanover military district, in autumn of 1941 where Nazis selected from there soviet POWs for annihilation in the Neuengamme concentration cam

In March 1945, evacuation marches towards the main camp in Neuengamme as Allied troops advanced led to the death of about 70 prisoners from exhaustion. Pictured: A so-called special zone in Erbke, Hanover military district, in autumn of 1941 where Nazis selected from there soviet POWs for annihilation in the Neuengamme concentration cam

Prisoners in the two camps near the town of Meppen were subjected to forced labour from early 1945.

They were not extermination camps, but many people died in them due to overcrowding, a lack of food and horrific living conditions.

In March 1945, evacuation marches towards the main camp in Neuengamme as Allied troops advanced led to the death of about 70 prisoners from exhaustion.

Overall, a total of 379 prisoners died in both camps during evacuation.

In 1979, the US government created the Department of Justice Office of Special Investigations dedicated to finding Nazis, which has helped to deport 67 people, its director Eli Rosenbaum (left) told AFP in March. US Assistant Attorney General Brian Benczkowski (right) has previously said that 'Berger was part of the SS machinery of oppression that kept concentration camp prisoners in atrocious conditions of confinement'
In 1979, the US government created the Department of Justice Office of Special Investigations dedicated to finding Nazis, which has helped to deport 67 people, its director Eli Rosenbaum (left) told AFP in March. US Assistant Attorney General Brian Benczkowski (right) has previously said that 'Berger was part of the SS machinery of oppression that kept concentration camp prisoners in atrocious conditions of confinement'

In 1979, the US government created the Department of Justice Office of Special Investigations dedicated to finding Nazis, which has helped to deport 67 people, its director Eli Rosenbaum (left) told AFP in March. US Assistant Attorney General Brian Benczkowski (right) has previously said that 'Berger was part of the SS machinery of oppression that kept concentration camp prisoners in atrocious conditions of confinement'

In 1979, the US government created the Department of Justice Office of Special Investigations dedicated to finding Nazis, which has helped to deport 67 people, its director Eli Rosenbaum told AFP in March.

Berger's Nazi case is 'possibly the last' in the United States, Rosenbaum said.

The details into how Berger was identified as a former Nazi guard remain under seal.

The last such deportation was of 95-year-old former SS guard Jakiw Palij, who had lived in New York since 1949 and was expelled in August 2018.

Publié dans Articles de Presse

Pour être informé des derniers articles, inscrivez vous :

Commenter cet article