Prosectors in Germany shelve Nazi guard case

Publié le par OAK Ridger

BERLIN (AP) — German prosecutors have shelved their investigation into a former Nazi concentration camp guard living in the United States for lack of evidence, authorities said Thursday.

Pictured: A 2012 photograph of former Nazi guard Friedrich Karl Berger (left).

Pictured: A 2012 photograph of former Nazi guard Friedrich Karl Berger (left).

Friedrich Karl Berger, 95, still faces possible deportation from the U.S. after being ordered expelled by a Memphis, Tennessee court in February. It was not clear when that might take place.

Berger has lived for years in Oak Ridge, but it is not known at this time whether he continues to live in the city.

Berger has admitted serving as a guard at a camp in northwestern Germany, which was a subcamp of the Neuengamme concentration camp, for a few weeks near the end of the war but has said he did not observe any abuse or killings, the dpa (Deutsche Presse-Agentur) news agency reported. 

Prosecutors in the city of Celle said they had been unable to refute the suspect's account and had decided to shelve the case against him.

Berger has been living in the U.S. since 1959.

Publié dans Articles de Presse

Pour être informé des derniers articles, inscrivez vous :

Commenter cet article