The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Gerhard Bauer was killed on 17 April 1945 over Kamenz after being attacked by American P-51 fighters. Bauer and August Lambert were two of the six German pilots killed in this engagement.
Awards and decorations
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class and 1st Class
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (2 April 1942)
- German Cross in Gold on 21 August 1942 as Feldwebel in the 8./Sturzkampfgeschwader 77
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 29 February 1944 as Feldwebel and pilot in the 8./Sturzkampfgeschwader 77